Police search for suspects in Olney playground assault

PHILADELPHIA (WTXF) Philadelphia police say they are searching for suspects in connection with a playground assault in Olney.

Leonard Lucas took his family to play ball at the Olney Rec Center Wednesday night, disturbed to find out that an 11-year-old boy playing hoops had been chased from the courts by teenagers, stripped naked at gunpoint in a nearby alley and beaten.

Police released a photo of one of four teens they believe chased the young boy from the rec center courts to an alley off A Street. Detectives say they pulled a gun and ordered him to take off his clothes. They took a picture of him with an iPhone and then beat him, according to investigators.

"Ridiculous, despicable," said Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross.

Strong words from Philadelphia’s top cop on the attack. He noted the suspects were 14 or 15 years old. His thoughts are with the 11-year-old.

"He must have been in absolute fear and for that my heart goes out to him and his parents," Ross said.

Darnell Lee took his son to his first football practice at the rec center Wednesday night. He's making sure his son is safe when he comes to play here.

" We all bring our kids here to a safe environment thinking everything is safe to play football and basketball," he explained.

Police patrols have been stepped up since the attack on July 12th. Police are hoping the public takes a good look at this photo and helps identify the teens responsible for this crime.

If you have any information about this crime or these suspects, please contact: Special Victims Unit: 215-685-3251/3252 Det. Downs #1537 DC 16-35-061255
 



 

 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories