TOKYO, Japan (FOX 11) - A woman undergoing an operation in Tokyo, Japan suffered burns after she passed gas on the operating table.
According to the Asian publication Asahi Shinbun, the fire occurred at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward on April 15th.
The patient, in her 30's, was undergoing an operation that involved applying a surgical laser to her cervical region. During the surgery, her passing gas was ignited by the irradiated laser positioned nearby.
The fire burned a large portion of the woman's body, including her waist and legs.
A committee of outside experts looked into the case and concluded via a report filed on October 28th that no flammable materials were present in the operating room at the time of the surgery. The surgical equipment was also reported as working properly within normal levels.
The Asahi Shinbun obtained the report which said:
“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”
Copyright 2016 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Be a citizen journalist for FOX 11 and get paid – download the Fresco News App today.