KENTUCKY (WTXF) -- A four-year-old boy from Kentucky was killed in a tragic accident after eating cinnamon powder he found in a container in his kitchen and now his mother is hoping his story will warn others to the dangers involved with ingesting the spice.
According to Daily Mail, little Matthew Rader was at his mother’s apartment in Richmond, poking around the kitchen.
He then allegedly climbed atop a counter, grabbed a container of the spice from the spice rack, ingested some and then began to choke. The little boy then collapses.
According to LEX18, Matthew’s mother, Brianna Rader, discovered the boy in a seizure-like state. He was then taken to Baptist Health Medical Center and was pronounced dead an hour and a half later.
“He was completely healthy - no problems,” the mother of two said to LEX18. “He started choking. It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed.”
According to the news station, some of the cinnamon made it into Matthew’s lungs while he was choking, causing his death.
A coroner ruled his June 3 death an accident, also saying that when cinnamon is inhaled it can cause asphyxiation.
Now Rader wants her son’s story to be shared as a warning to others, especially those who partake in the “Cinnamon Challenge.”
The challenge asks its participants to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon without drinking and liquids. It went viral on social media platforms in 2011.
According to doctors, the challenge can be dangerous. Particles of cinnamon can be inhaled through the windpipe and into the lungs. This can cause inflammation and even choking.
“Cinnamon can kill,” Rader said. “All these kids, they don't think about the fact it can hurt them.”
She took to Facebook to talk about her appreciation for Matthew’s story being spread.
“I can't express how grateful I am for all the amazing support we have right now. And each and every one of you are amazing,” she wrote in the post from June 4.
“Matty man's story made the Lex 18 news and now CNN wants to share it nationwide. That helps ease my breaking heart just a little to think that just maybe my baby's story can save even just one child's life.
“My Matty was definitely loved by many and he loved everyone. Fly high baby boy we love you more than words could ever explain. And we miss you so much it hurts. R.I.P my sweet little angel.”
Matthew’s funeral was on June 9.