5-year NYPD veteran shot terror suspect

NEW YORK (FOX5NY) - We are learning more about the hero cop who stopped the terror suspect from causing more carnage in the Manhattan attack.

He has been identified as 28-year-old NYPD officer Ryan Nash from Medford, Long Island.  He is an officer in Lower Manhattan's 1st Precinct who has been on the force for five years.

Nash was patrolling his regular beat near where the attack took place.  He shot the suspect, Sayfullo Saipov, soon after the attack took place.

MORE: Truck rams people on recreational path in Manhattan attack

Nash confronted Saipov and shot him in the abdomen after police say the suspect refused Nash’s demands to drop weapons that were later determined to be a paintball gun and a pellet gun.

Saipov survived the shooting, which gives investigators a chance to interrogate him as part of the investigation.

Although he was not mentioned by name at a news conference Tuesday, Nash's work was acknowledged by the mayor and police commissioner.

"I want to commend the response by our NYPD officer who was on post near the location who stopped the carnage moments after it began. Also, the work of the first responders including the fire department and EMS personnel truly helped save additional lives," NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill said.

MORE: Philadelphia police vigilant in the wake of the New York City attack

Officer Nash has previously received two awards from the NYPD, one for excellent police duty and the other for meritorious police duty.

Officials said Saipov was living recently in New Jersey, where he allegedly rented a Home Depot pickup truck an hour before driving it onto the bike path in Manhattan after driving over the George Washington Bridge.

Uber confirmed that Saipov had driven 1,400 times for them but said he had passed the company's background check.

MORE: Terror suspect was an Uber driver

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories