9-month-old horribly burned by scalding water from garden hose

(INSIDE EDITION)- Arizona mother Dominique Woodger said it never occurred to her that the water coming from her outdoor water hose could scald her 9-month-old son.

She accidentally sprayed him with extremely hot water as she went to fill his kiddie pool, CBS affiliate KPHO-TV reported.

The child suffered second-degree burns over 30 percent of his body.

“It’s heartbreaking. It is. It sucks,” she told KNXV-TV. “All of it was peeling. He had blisters all over the right side.”

She was outside with little Nicholas Monday when she turned on the hose to fill his wading pool.

“I thought he was crying because he was mad, because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face. I didn’t think that it was burning him,” she said.

In the Phoenix area, where daytime temperatures are currently above 100 degrees, contact burns are common, said Fire Department Capt. Larry Subervi.

In such high temps, the water in a garden hose left in the sun could be as hot as 150 degrees, he said. “So at those temperatures, something as short as a 10- or 30-second exposure can result in a second- degree burn,” he told the station.

Woodger said doctors told her Nicholas will be OK.

“Just be careful. Just touch it before you spray, before you let your kids near it,” the mother said.

Up Next:


Thank you for visiting FOX29.com! Please click the survey link below to tell us about your experience.

FOX 29 Website Survey

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories