WEST CHESTER, PA (WTXF) - Five firefighters were injured in Chester County while battling an underground fire in West Chester, according to officials.
The fire started on Darlington Street around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
SKYFOX flew over the chaos as PECO was called in and found a problem with an underground cable which was causing smoke to spew from a manhole.
Fire Chief Mike McDonald explains the chain reaction. "There was fire underground in the transformer electric wire. They feed all the homes, they went down, went into the panel box in the basement of the house and caught the basement panel box on fire."
The chief says the combustion underground sent high levels of carbon monoxide through the area. It sickened 5 firefighters, including Assistant Fire Chief Mark Scanlon who sent out a distress call.
"He actually came out of the building and collapsed to update him he did not have a cardiac issue. He lost his consciousness a little bit. He is currently treated at hospital for possible CO," Chief McDonald said.
The other 4 firefighters were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
PECO had cut off power to homes in the affected area while crews made repairs underground. It was restored late this evening.
Power back for residents/businesses on GaySt after underground fire. Peco working. Waiting to hear when residents can return @FOX29philly— Shawnette Wilson (@SWilsonFOX29) August 9, 2017