PHILADELPHIA (WTXF) - The Office of the Mayor has issued an advisory for a series of permanent road closures due to the Democratic National Convention being held in Philadelphia this week.
Secret Service Restrictions
From noon on Saturday, July 23 until late evening on Friday, July 29 the following permanent street closures will be in effect:
- North and south bound lanes of South Broad Street between Packer Avenue and the Navy Yard/Terminal Avenue
- Pattison Avenue from South 7th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
- Terminal Avenue from South Broad Street to South 11th Street
- South 11th Street from Hartranft Street to Terminal Avenue
From noon on Saturday, July 23 until late evening on Friday, July 29 the following street closures will be in effect with access to authorized vehicles only. Access will be handled by Philadelphia Police:
- Pattison Avenue from South 20th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
- Hartranft Street from South Broad Street to South Darien Street
- South Darien Street from Packer Avenue to Lurie Way
- 10th Street south of Packer Avenue
Daily, from Monday, July 25 to Friday, July 29 I-76 eastbound exit ramp Exit #350/Packer Avenue will be closed between 2:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Bicycles will be permitted in FDR Park and South Broad Street until Pattison. At that intersection, bicycles will need to travel westbound on Pattison. Cyclists wishing to access the Navy Yard should enter on 26th Street.
Pedestrians will be able to access FDR Park via sidewalks, and the SEPTA Broad Street Line’s AT&T Station will remain open as well.
PennDOT I-95 Restrictions
Philadelphia regional interstates and expressways will remain open for passenger vehicles, but travelers are warned to allow for additional travel time on I-76, I-676, and Route 291 due to heavy traffic volume from commercial vehicles being diverted from I-95.
Philadelphia residents are encouraged to consider using public transportation for travel into and out of Center City.
PennDOT restrictions on I-95 from July 23 at noon until midday July 29 for commercial vehicles, motor homes, and recreational trailers that weigh more than five tons are as follows:
- Commercial vehicles weighing more than five tons will be prohibited from traveling on I-95 between Exit 13 (Interstate 76 West/Route 291/Valley Forge) and Exit 22 (Interstate 676) in Philadelphia from Saturday, July 23 at 12:00 PM, until midday Friday, July 29.
- Commercial vehicles that weigh more than five tons that will be restricted are delivery trucks, utility vehicles, parcel trucks, small dump trucks, buses, flatbed and stake trucks, refrigerated and box trucks, large delivery trucks, refuse trucks, cement mixers, buses, and all tractor trailer combinations including double trailers.
- Motor homes and recreational trailers operated for personal use that weigh more than five tons will also be restricted from traveling on this section of I-95.
- Detours for vehicles that weigh more than five tons will be posted and are available on PennDot’s website.
- In addition, the northbound and southbound entrance ramps to I-95 between Exit 13 and Exit 22 in Philadelphia will be closed to commercial vehicles over five tons. Commercial vehicles will be directed to use arterial roads to reach either I-95 north or south beyond Exit 13 or Exit 22.
Also, the I-95 exit ramp at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) will have closures:
- • The I-95 northbound exit ramp at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) will be closed from Friday, July 22 at 10:00 PM until midday Friday, July 29.
- • The I-95 southbound exit ramp at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) will be open intermittently during convention week, but only for access to the Navy Yard. The southbound exit-ramp will be closed:
- Friday, July 22 at 10:00 p.m. until Saturday, July 23 at 6:00 a.m.
- Monday, July 25 at 2:00 p.m. until Tuesday, July 26 at 2:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, July 26 at 2:00 p.m. until Wednesday, July 27 at 2:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, July 27 at 2:00 p.m. until Thursday, July 28 at 2:00 a.m.
- Thursday, July 28 at 2:00 p.m. to midday Friday, July 29.
- The posted detours for motorists to follow during the closure of the I-95 exit ramps at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) are:
- From I-95 North: Route 291 (Penrose Avenue) east to Moyamensing Avenue to Oregon Avenue to Broad Street (Route 611).
- From I-95 South: Enterprise Avenue to Island Avenue to Route 291 (Penrose Avenue) east to Moyamensing Avenue to Oregon Avenue to Broad Street (Route 611).