Police release photos of package explosion suspect, reward offered

Officials from the Philadelphia Police, FBI, ATF, and U.S. Postal service held a press conference Thursday to update the public on their investigation into a package explosion that seriously wounded a 60-year-old man last week.

- Officials from the Philadelphia Police, FBI, ATF, and U.S. Postal service held a press conference Thursday to update the public on their investigation into a package explosion that seriously wounded a 60-year-old man last week.

Officials confirmed in the press conference that the explosive device was homemade and are offering a $10,000 reward for information on whoever constructed and/or delivered the package.

Photos of the suspect were released during the press conference. However, police do not have a motive for the crime.

New details were also released during the press conference. Police say the bomb package was placed on Sunday, November 20 and left on the doorstep.

It was brought inside the doorway at some point before Alden opened it at 4:00 a.m. on Tuesday when it exploded.

Surveillance video shows the man placing the package down and more video of him afterwards about 10 blocks away.

James Alden, 60, is still recovering from the November 22 incident, that left him with shrapnel wounds to his face, chest and arms.

He is cooperating with police, but says he has no idea why he was targeted.

The incident happened at around 4:00 a.m. when police say he received a padded envelope, and opened it the next morning, thinking it was medication he usually receives in the mail.

Investigators said it was set to explode upon being opened.

Motive sought in Center City package explosion: http://www.fox29.com/news/219068147-story

Police have said they don't believe the package was delivered by the Postal Service and say the barcode on it was unusual.

An online fundraiser for Alden had collected more than $20,000 by Thursday morning.

Victim of Center City package explosion starts crowd-funding page: http://www.fox29.com/news/local-news/220595115-story

Alden himself posted a heartfelt note updating everyone on his road to recovery.  He says a week later he's happy to be resting at home and feeling a little better.  He says the shrapnel damage to his face, chest and arms is slowly healing but a blister on his ear drum is affecting his hearing.

He also wrote that he will need more surgeries and will likely be unable to work for some time.

Alden ended the note by saying he is relying on the loving care of his partner and friends and says he appreciates everyone's concern and compassion.

App Store Get it on Google Play

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories