Shots fired at police during barricade situation in Langhorne, suspect in custody

- What started as a welfare check early this afternoon turned into a barricade situation that lasted more than seven hours, and turned much more serious when the suspect allegedly started firing shots at police.

"Open the door," a negotiator yelled, trying to coax the suspect out.

It all started around noon when he sent text messages to a current or former girlfriend threatening to harm himself and others.

The SWAT team was called in.

“Because of the way the original call came in and the nature of the call, especially the fact that I believe he might have texted a picture of himself with a shotgun.”

One man was removed safely. But despite communicating with the suspect for hours through text messages, he wouldn't budge.

“He was coming in and out of his front door, peeking in and out of a front window, back window, opening the window, kind of playing games with us.”

And then, sometime mid-afternoon, gunshots.

Joe Bartorilla, the Middletown Township Police Chief said, “He may have fired a couple of shots from his shotgun out the window in the direction of officers.”

Police used armored vehicles to pick up neighbors and move them out of harm's way. 

Neighbor Nicole Zisserman said, “It's scary.”

Through the day and into the night, they weren't allowed back home.

“I haven't been here, so I don't know. Haven't been able to get home? No, I've been gone since 12:30.”

Rob Leck said, “Just driving around waiting, since early this morning.”

Neighbors know little about the man.

“Did you see the guy around?”

“No, never seen him any time.”

“How long had he been living here?”

“Months, not that long.”

Finally, after not hearing from him for two hours, and tear gas wouldn't flush him out, they sent in a robot with a camera, but there was no sign of him.

So, around 8 o'clock, they went in.

“He was actually found I believe on the second floor, rolled up in some carpet?”


“Not seriously injured. I don't know if he was injured at all.”

He was arrested, and driven away.

Police aren't releasing his name, and charges are pending. The chief says he'll also get the help that he needs.”

Up Next:

Thank you for visiting! Please click the survey link below to tell us about your experience.

FOX 29 Website Survey

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories