Victim of Center City package explosion starts crowd-funding page

- A letter bomb blew up in his face last week, and tonight he's thanking his supporters on his road to recovery.

Jim Alden, 60, says his life changed forever last Tuesday, when he opened the package in his apartment. 

The incident happened at around 4:00A.M. when police say he "opened up a package that he suspected was medication that he typically receives in the mail," but police say it that was not the case.

Now, Alden has started a crowd-funding page that will go towards his extensive medical bills. He says he still needs more surgeries and could be without income for some time. 

The "You Caring" crowdfunding page shows a picture of him and the wounds he suffered at the hands of the cruel person who left  the envelope for him rigged with a bomb.

So far people have donated more than $16,000 to the page.

Alden himself posted a heartfelt note updating everyone on his road to recovery.  He says a week later he's happy to be resting at home and feeling a little better.  He says the shrapnel damage to his face, chest and arms is slowly healing but a blister on his ear drum is affecting his hearing.

He also wrote that he will need more surgeries and will likely be unable to work for some time.

Alden ended the note by saying he is relying on the loving care of his partner and friends and says he appreciates everyone's concern and compassion.

Meanwhile the FBI, ATF, U.S. Postal Service along with Philly PD are handling the investigation trying to track down whoever did this to him.

Below is Alden's full released statement:

There has been substantial news coverage about the letter bomb that seriously injured me on the morning of November 22, 2016.  Now, one week later, I'm happy to be resting at home and feeling a little bit better. My life changed on that day, and I still face more surgeries to deal with the significant damage to my left hand. The "shrapnel" damage to my face, chest and arms is slowly healing, and a blister on my ear drum is affecting my hearing, but is supposed to heal. At this point, I only know that I have a long road ahead of me, and I will likely be unable to work for quite some time. 

Because I would never want to impede or interfere with the local, state and federal investigators who are working hard to solve this crime, I'm unable to provide an update on the criminal investigation. I will leave that up to those professionals.  What I want to say at this point is how overwhelmed I have been at the outpouring of love and support that I've received from my partner, family, friends, and coworkers. 

Through the YouCaring.comweb site, I've received many generous donations along with comments that are beautifully supportive and inspiring. Please know that the donations will be invaluable as I deal with medical expenses and the potential of many months without income.

As I go forward in my recovery I know I will continue to rely on the loving care of my partner and friends, and I appreciate everyone's concern and compassion. Thank you!

Philadelphia police are continuing to search for a motive in the "target specific" package explosion that left a man injured. Investigators say they have ruled out the incident as an act of hate. 

"As far as I know, there were no threats prior to this and no threats since," Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.

Authorities do not believe the package was delivered by the U.S. Postal Service, and say it had a very old barcode on it.

Investigators are also checking surveillance cameras in the area to look for any sign of an individual carrying a package.


Up Next:

Thank you for visiting! Please click the survey link below to tell us about your experience.

FOX 29 Website Survey

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories