Mother and newborn baby seriously injured by faulty firework

- A mother and her newborn baby were seriously injured over the weekend after a faulty firework struck the two at a party in eastern Iowa. 

Margaret Limkemann, 36, suffered “severe trauma” to both of her legs after a firework unexpectedly landed in her lap and exploded on Saturday at an annual family event, according to a GoFundMe page. Once the firework hit Limkemann, she tossed her 1-month-old infant onto a nearby blanket, the fundraising page states.

Aria, the daughter, suffered a broken femur, multiple fractures and burns, according to the GoFundMe page. Both mother and daughter will require surgeries.

Brittany Bornstein, who started the online fundraising page, told the Gazette that the incident occurred on her grandfather’s property in Swisher, Iowa. She said the family was sitting approximately 50 yards away from the fireworks and alleged that the firework that landed on Limkemann was defective.

The property owner was cited for lack of a firework permit. Sheriff Lonny Pulkrabek said to the Press-Citizen, “It’s both sad and frustrating that happened. That’s why we cited the homeowner for failing to have a permit.”

Over $6,700 has been raised so far by the GoFundMe page.

More from FOX News. 

Up Next:


Thank you for visiting FOX29.com! Please click the survey link below to tell us about your experience.

FOX 29 Website Survey

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories