Raids in France and Belgium nab terror suspects

A raid in France nabs a Frenchman officials say was in the advance stages of plotting an attack on the country.  He was taken into custody in the northern outskirts of Paris.  Witnesses say the area was locked down for hours before authorities emerged from an apartment building with a  suspect. His head was covered with a scarf. Not much is known about the suspect accept he was implicated at a “high level” in the alleged future plot.

Heavy police presence is also seen in Belgium after several raids Thursday netted six people who Belgian prosecutors say are linked to this week’s attacks on the city’s airports and subway system. The raids happened in central Brussels, Jette and Schaerbeek neighborhood.

"The government and the competent authorities will do their utmost to shed light on both these attacks and related events," said Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel.

This as Belgian law enforcement officials have come under heavy criticism regarding one of the metro attackers. Officials say that person had been sought for months on another terror charge, that he helped the Paris attackers.  Today two government officials resigned.

"If you put everything in a row then you can say that you can ask big questions in a number of areas," said Jan Jambon the Belgian Interior Minister.

The death toll from the attacks continues to rise. More than 30 are dead and some 300 hurt. 12 are Americans. Some are still unaccounted for . 20-year-old Fanny Klein is recovering and in better spirits despite suffering severe burns.

"I'm not going to spend my days crying. I cried a little yesterday but anyway I'm going to dehydrate myself," she said.

 

Up Next:


Thank you for visiting FOX29.com! Please click the survey link below to tell us about your experience.

FOX 29 Website Survey

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories