HUNTSVILLE, AL (WTXF) - This seems like something the Grinch would do.
Jeananne Jackson told news outlet WHNT that a driver flicked a cigarette from their vehicle onto her group’s Whoville-themed float as they were driving to a Christmas parade in Alabama Thursday.
Jackson said that her husband was driving the truck with the float while she was in another vehicle and witnessed it all happen.
The cigarette butt landed in several bales of hay and the float quickly went up in flames. It took three months to build.
Jackson told WHNT that her group spent $1,000 in materials for the float which was built for the Dr. Seuss-themed parade.
Fire officials responded to extinguish the flames, but most of the float was ruined. Fortunately, they were able to rescue some of the dogs, pigs, and other creatures on board. They were dressed in custom-made Thing costumes and wigs, FOX 43 reports.
The Facebook group responsible for the flat is called Lost and Found Pets of Huntsville/Madison County, which helps bring missing pets back with their owners.
The group boasts almost 13,000 members and has 5,000 success stories.
They were hoping to win the $300 prize awarded to the best float and apply the money to pay for more pets to be spayed and neutered, FOX 43 reports.
But they didn’t let the ruined float stop them from trying to participate in the parade. FOX 43 reports that they hurried to get another trailer brought to the parade area so they could put the items they saved on it. Then they dressed in costume and tried continue on.