(INSIDE EDITION) - Hundreds of people have donated more than $20,000 to the parents of the two baby girls killed in a radiator blast inside a New York apartment last week.
Ibanez Ambrose, 2, and Scylee Ambrose, 1, were asleep in a Bronx bedroom when the malfunctioning radiator let out a fatal amount of scalding steam, causing the girls to have second and third-degree burns.
Both later died of cardiac arrest in the hospital.
”My brother and sister in law Pete and Danielle Ambrose have suffered a terrible tragedy," the girls' aunt, Elizabeth Irish, wrote on one of the GoFundMe pages. "Ibanez and Scylee were overwhelmingly loved for the entirely of their short lives."
The campaign has exceeded its $10,000 goal, already raising more than $16,000 for the girls' parents, who are homeless.
In another GoFundMe started for the family by officers at the NYPD's 41st Precinct, more than $4,000 has been raised.
The family was already going through difficult times before the tragedy, having moved to New York a year ago.
The apartment where the family was living at the time of the accident was being paid for by NYC's Department of Homeless Services’ until the city could help them find a permanent solution, according to reports.
The program, however, has been criticized for its dirty and, at times, dangerous locations.
There have been about 60 complaints reported for various conditions since 1995 in the Hunts Point property to the Department of Buildings, according to online records.
Inspectors reportedly visited the site in June, but only examined exterior and common spaces.