Family survives near-fatal carbon monoxide poisoning

MANTI, UTAH-A Utah family survived a near-fatal incident of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide filled a Utah family's home, nearly killing them. To recover, the Cox family had to sit in astronaut-type suits in a hyperbaric chamber filled with oxygen.

The five family members all experienced a severe case of carbon monoxide poisoning that could have been fatal. It  started when everyone started to feel sick one morning. They thought they'd all contracted the same bug and decided to stay home and rest. What they didn't know was that their home was filling with carbon monoxide and slowly poisoning them to death.

They called a family member who recognized the symptoms and told them to flee the home. The Cox's made it to a hospital and spent hours in the chamber, which pumped oxygen into their bodies. All of them are expected to make a full recovery.

"it really is a reality of how scary it is and how it happens," said Karilyn Cox. "It just felt like this really bad migraine, and I was laying back sweating."

The family was told the boiler could have been the culprit behind the leak. The Cox family did have carbon monoxide monitors but they had expired.



Up Next:

Thank you for visiting! Please click the survey link below to tell us about your experience.

FOX 29 Website Survey

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories