PHILADELPHIA (AP/WTXF) -- Heavy rains caused flooding and prompted road closures and rescues of people from stranded cars all over the area Monday.
In the Philadelphia area, the Schuylkill Expressway was closed in both directions at the busy King of Prussia Mall exit. The waters affected dozens of stores and a parking garage at the mall.
Upper Darby and Montgomery County police reported numerous rescues of people trapped in cars by flooding.
The National Weather Service office issued a flash flood warning and urged people not to drive through flooded roads.
Gov. Tom Wolf activated the Commonwealth Response Coordination Center on Monday morning and the National Guard was notified to be ready to help, if needed.
.@ReadyPA is in constant contact with local emergency management to respond to flash flooding occurring across PA today. Safety is always our top priority. I thank first responders for doing all they can to help those affected. https://t.co/liihPvv1X2— Governor Tom Wolf (@GovernorTomWolf) August 13, 2018
The forecast calls for storms to continue and cause flooding in the southcentral, northcentral and eastern parts of the state through Wednesday.
The following roads are closed in the area as of Monday evening:
- Martin Luther King Drive--Eakins Oval to Montgomery Drive is now open with the exception of Sweetbriar Road to Lansdowne Avenue.
- 2000 North 63rd Street
- Lansdowne Avenue/Sweet Briar Road
- Ford Road/Chamounix
- 34th Street/Girard Avenue
- 29th Street from Hunting Park to Westmoreland
- 2700 Tulip Street
- 300 East Erie Avenue
- Ridge Avenue/Hunting Park
- 1700 Delaware Avenue
- 6400 Cobbs Creek
- 2000 West Erie Avenue
- Roosevelt Boulevard (Northbound) At Broad Street
- 3200 West Girard Avenue
- 33rd/Oxford Avenue
- 23rd/Dauphin Street
- 23rd/York Street
- 22nd/Thompson Street
- 25th Street/Diamond Street
- 18th/Glenwood Avenue
- 19th/Lehigh Avenue
- 6000 Springfield to Cobbs Creek
- 6500 Cobbs Creek
- Route 113 in both directions between the intersection with Souderton Square and Mall Road and Bethlehem Pike in Hilltown Township
- Limeport Road between Allentown Road and the Lehigh County line.
- Lower Pine Creek Road between Route 401 (Conestoga Road) and Yellow Springs Road in West Pikeland Township
- ·Wagontown Road/Cedar Knoll Road/Reeceville Road/Caln Road between Hibernia Road and Wagontown-Martins Road in West Brandywine Township
- ·Clover Mill Road/Pikeland Road between Kimberton Road and Merlin Road in Charlestown Township
- Route 345 (Bulltown Road) at Route 23 (Ridge Road) in East Nantmeal Township;
- Route 724 (Schuylkill Road) between Scholl Road and Catfish Lane in North Coventry Township
- Pottstown Pike/Chadds Ford Road/Creek Road/High Street between Street Road and Creek Road in Birmingham Township
- Swan Road/Upper Valley Road/Main Street between Green Street and Swan Road in Atglen Borough
- Crum Creek Road between Farnum Road and State Road in Upper Providence Township
- Darby Paoli Road between Bryn Mawr Avenue and Goshen Road in Radnor Township
- Eagle Road/Glendale Road between Warrior Road and Burmont Road in Haverford Township
- Lansdowne Avenue/Darby Road/Main Street between U.S. 13 (Chester Pike), MacDade Boulevard and 11th Street in Darby Township
- Interstate 76 (Schuylkill Expressway) is closed in both directions at the U.S. 202 Interchange in Upper Merion Township
- Conshohocken Road/Fairfield Road/Elm Street at Diamond Avenue in Plymouth Township
- Croton Road/Radnor Road between the Chester County line and Gulph Road in Upper Merion Township
- Water Street Road/Mill Road between Grange Avenue and Skippack Creek Road in Skippack Township
- Henderson Road/Beidler Road/Abrams Road at Beidler Road in Upper Merion Township
- Route 320 (South Gulph Road) between Upper Gulph Road and Old Gulph Road and Arden Road in Upper Merion Township
- Trinity Lane between Holstein Road and Swedeland Road in Upper Merion Township
- ·Butler Pike/Matsonford Road/Fayette Street between Hillside Avenue and the Interstate 476 Interchange in Lower Merion Township
- The following roads are closed in east central Pennsylvania as of this afternoon:
- PA 625 between Philadelphia and Mt. View roads in Cumru Township
- PA 724 between Furnace Street in Birdsboro Borough and Shed Road in Union Township
- (complete)PA 61 North between Lake Shore and Indian Manor drives in Ontelaunee Township
- Belleman’s Church Road between Garfield and Indian Trail roads in Centre Township
- Leesport Avenue between Snyder Road and Huller Lane in Ontelaunee Township
- (complete) Main Street between Cross Keys Road in Bern Township and Wall Street in Leesport Borough
- (new) PA 724 between Unionville Road in Union Township and Scholl Road in North Coventry Township, Chester County
- Haasadahl Road between Becker Street and Hickory Lane in Upper Macungie Township;
- Vera Cruz Road between Limeport Pike and Pam Road in Lower Milford Township;
- Limeport Pike between Bell Gate Road and Chestnut Hill Church Road in Lower Milford Township
- Schantz Road between Hamilton Boulevard in Lower Macungie Township and Cetronia Road in Upper Macungie Township
- Indian Creek Road between Macungie Road in Lower Macungie Township and Cedar Crest Boulevard in Upper Milford Township
- Spring Creek Road between Trexlertown and Mill Creek roads in Lower Macungie Township
- Cetronia Road between Schantz Road (east) and Schantz Road (west) in Upper Macungie Township
- Trexlertown Road North between Hamilton Boulevard and US 222 in Upper Macungie Township
PennDOT also released more information about road closures on Twitter. For more information from PennDOT CLICK HERE.
⚠️ Due to flooding, many roads throughout PA are closed. We strongly encourage people to use https://t.co/xBnMAKHyVI to check the latest updates and road closures. #DriveSafe #ArriveAlive #TurnAroundDontDrown pic.twitter.com/3oDEgwapsy— PA Department of Transportation (@PennDOTNews) August 13, 2018
Download the FOX 29 Weather Authority App to keep up with the latest forecast.