Schwenksville fire that killed deputy's sons caused by faulty extension cord

- The fire that claimed the lives of two young boys in Montgomery County on Wednesday has been ruled accidental by Pennsylvania State Police.

Authorities announced the fire was caused by an electrical failure of an extension cord that was plugged into a space heater. The fire began in the porch area of the home.

11-year-old Bryan Jr. and 6-year-old Parker were reportedly found on the second floor of the home and were pronounced dead at the scene.

MORE: Relief fund for family of deputy who lost sons in fire reaches $200,000

Their father Montgomery County Sheriff’s Deputy Bryan Lukens, mother Tracey, and 9-year-old sister Soffia, were all hospitalized immediately following the fire. Tracey and Soffia have since been released from the hospital and Deputy Lukens was expected to be released on Thursday.

STORY: Sheriff deputy's sons killed in Schwenksville house fire

A family friend started a relief fundraiser for the family via GoFundMe. In the few hours following the fire, the initiative already reached its original goal of $200,000 and has been raised to $300,000.

The families pets were also killed in the fire.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In – includes Advertiser Stories