2-year-old dies after choking on a grape

Hundreds of mourners gathered and released balloons to mark the moment a toddler died after he choked on a grape.

They came together on Seaton Carew seafront in Hartlepool in the United Kingdom Wednesday at 7:00 p.m., each with yellow balloons.

The symbol was in honor of Jacob Jenkins. He had been in an induced coma since October 9, according to the Huffington Post.

2-year-old Jacob has been rushed to the hospital after a grape became lodged in his throat on that very same day, causing his heart to stop. The family was on an outing to Pizza Hut.

A first responder in Pizza Hut attempted to help as Jacob's dad, David Jenkins, ran to get help from staff at a nearby movie theatre.

Two other first aid responders from the theatre gave Jacob medical assistance before paramedics arrived, airlifting Jacob to the hospital.

Jacob's mom, Abigail Wilson, said that Jacob was "gone" for around 30 minutes before paramedics were able to revive him.

The grape had to be removed by using surgical scissors.

According to Jacob's parents, they chose the moment he died, saying there was "nothing else that could be done."

Abigail announced his passing on a Facebook post.

According to Daily Mail, she wrote, "Me and David want to thank every single person for their support over these awful last few days.

"Jacob gained his angel wings at 7pm as you all set off your balloons.

"There was nothing else that could be done for Jacob and as hard as it was, we chose this time because we knew he would be in thousands of people's minds at that moment.

"I won't be replying to anything and I hope you understand but we are so grateful for the love you have shown our gorgeous angel."

She continued, according to Daily Mail, "Jacob died in mine and his dad's arms with his family by his side. We then went outside and released our own balloons."

A GoFundMe page has been started for Jacob, and it has currently raised more than £10,000.