FOX NEWS - A mother in Canada is pleading with other parents to be cautious when using aerosol spray sunscreen on their children after her 14-month-old daughter suffered second-degree chemical burns on her face. Rebecca Cannon, of Botwood, had purchased Banana Boat Kids SPF50 to protect her daughter Kyla from the sun despite overcast weather, according to a May 8 Facebook post.
As the day went on, she got a little redder and redder and the next morning she woke up and was swollen, she was bright red, there were blisters starting to pop up," Cannon told CBC.ca. "We immediately took her up to the doctors and found out she has second degree burns."
While Cannon acknowledged that she should have used baby-specific sunscreen, she figured that using a child-specific block advertised as alcohol-free to protect her daughter against the sun was better than nothing.
"I figured just putting it mildly on her face, for some protection rather than having none at all, would be OK and yeah, it didn't go over well," Cannon told CBC.ca.
Cannon told the news outlet that her 3-year-old nephew had used the same sunscreen without any adverse effects, but that a doctor treating Kyla said it wasn't the first case he had seen, and it had the potential to be a severe allergic reaction.