Man shot, killed in Del. 'confrontation' pointed gun at cops, was wanted for attempted murder

New Castle County police released new information on Wednesday's officer-involved shooting and the man who was killed.

They say just after 2pm, "detectives from the Special Investigations Squad were assigned to locate and arrest Keith Price, 21 of Wilmington."

He was the suspected gunman in a shooting at Lambson Lane and E. Hillview Avenue on April 9, and police had first-degree attempted murder warrants for his arrest.

Detectives found Price alone, driving a green Honda Civic in the city of Wilmington. They called for New Castle County uniformed patrol officers in fully-marked patrol vehicles to help make a traffic stop.

Officers in those marked vehicles tried to stop Price around 24th and Market streets. They say they got out of their cars "and gave Keith Price commands in an attempt to arrest him. Keith Price refused to comply with officers' commands and instead drove his vehicle towards the officers, which resulted in an officer firing their departmentally-issued handgun at Keith Price. Keith Price continued to ignore commands and crashed his vehicle into a fully-marked police vehicle, before driving from the scene. Police initiated a vehicle pursuit which ended when Keith Price crashed his Civic into uninvolved motorists on Philadelphia Pike at Washington Street Extension."

Then, according to police, "Keith Price fled from his Civic on foot to the south side of St. Helena's Church with an officer in foot pursuit. Keith Price ran and concealed himself in large bushes next to the church. As the officer pursued, Keith Price reappeared and pointed a handgun at the officer, which resulted in the officer firing their departmentally-issued handgun, striking Keith Price. Keith Price was provided emergency medical attention and was pronounced dead at the scene."

Then, they took the handgun Price had with him.

The two officers involved were taken to an area hospital for treatment. Both -- a 3-year veteran and an 18-year veteran -- were treated and released, Wednesday night. Police did not describe their injuries, but say as per division policy, both officers were placed on paid administrative leave while investigations are conducted.

Also, there are separate investigations being conducted by the New Castle County Police Criminal Investigation Unit, the New Castle County Police Professional Standards Unit and the Delaware Department of Justice Office of Civil Rights and Public Trust.