Collingdale man arrested for creating homemade incendiary devices

Police have announced the arrest of 24-year-old Lemar Jowell King who is charged with making weapons of mass destruction.

Police say King was charged with four counts of weapons of mass destruction, risking a catastrophe, possessing incendiary devices and possession of instruments of crime and other related charges.

King was taken into custody on Tuesday after Police from Collingdale and Delaware County responded to the 700 Block of Clifton Avenue in Collingdale. A warrant had been issued by the court for King's failure to appear for a narcotics offense.

Police say upon gaining entrance to King's home, which had been barricaded, they located King within the residence and took him into custody. While escorting him out of the apartment, four suspected destructive devices along with matches were observed on a table just inside the front door of the apartment and the CID Bomb Unit was contacted.

Upon arrival of the Bomb Unit, the second floor tenants were safely removed from the building. Authorities located and removed the four devices which contained flammable clear liquid with wicks attached. After removed from the home, the CID Bomb Unit conducted a controlled burn of the devices and additional testing was conducted. After the study, authorities determined the incendiary devices were dangerous and capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.

"In this case, the defendant, Lemar King, put his surrounding community and officers in serious danger through the creation of four volatile, flammable homemade incendiary devices which could have caused bodily harm and even death if ignited," said District Attorney Katayoun M. Copeland. "I would like to commend the members of the Delaware County Sheriff's Office and the Collingdale Police Department Officers who responded that day to an extremely dangerous situation and ensued the safety of residents by acting swiftly and courageously. I would also like to commend the CID Bomb Unit and ATF agents who secured the scene and tested and discharged the devices to ensure the safety of all those involved."

King is now at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility for failing to post bail of ten percent of $100,000.