Discarded smoking materials sparked fatal house fire in New Jersey

Authorities say carelessly discarded smoking materials sparked a house fire that killed a New Jersey woman.

Bergen County prosecutors say the Dec. 23 fire in Montvale has been ruled an accident.

Firefighters found the body of 77-year-old Ninette Grannis shortly after they extinguished the fire, which had been reported by a passer-by who spotted flames coming from the home's attic.

No other injuries were reported in the fire.

Authorities say Grannis was the only person inside the home.