Suspect charged in "senseless, cold-blooded" killing of Lancaster Co. man

Police have arrested the man they say is responsible for the fatal shooting of 31-year-old Sam Algarin.

On Thursday, Sept. 13, officials discovered Algarin's body on the side of the road in West Fallowfield Township. Algarin had sustained a single gunshot wound to the chest.

Hakeem Smith, 30, of Oxford, Pennslvania, has been charged with Algarin's murder.

Police say surveillance footage showed the suspect driving the victim's car minutes after the murder. Investigators also discovered Smith's palm print on the vehicle after it was abandoned and Smith's fingerprint on the victim's phone, which was allegedly discarded in a field two miles away from his body.

"This was a senseless and cold-blooded killing," said District Attorney Tom Hogan. "The defendant needed a car and money, so he killed an innocent victim to get what he wanted."

"Sam Algarin was a good father to his children, a good son to his mother, a good worker to his employer and a friend to everybody he met. The defendant killed the victim and dumped him on the side of the road like trash. Now the defendant will face justice."

Police had responded to a domestic dispute involving Smith prior to Algarin's killing on Sept. 13, removing the suspect from his mother's home on the 200 block of Conowingo Circle in Oxford, Pennsylvania. Smith reportedly left the home on foot, carrying bags of his belongings.

Police found the victim's body on the side of Limestone Road later that night.

On Sunday, authorities recovered the victim's car in Westtown Township. The vehicle had been abandoned and intentionally wiped down, according to police, but blood remained on the driver's seat and seatbelt harness.

Smith was taken into custody in West Chester, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday. He was spotted on the street by a West Chester police officer before fleeing into a nearby home. He later surrendered to the West Chester SWAT team.

Smith has been charged with murder, robbery, and related offenses. He was remanded to Chester County Prison and is not eligible for bail.