Three Philadelphia corrections officers arrested, charged in June inmate assault and cover-up

Three Philadelphia corrections officers surrendered Friday morning on charges stemming from the June 2016 assault of an inmate inside the Philadelphia Industrial Correctional Center and their attempt to cover up the incident, Philadelphia District Attorney R. Seth Williams announced.

Milton Gibbs, Terrance Bailey, and Shaun Lowe have been charged with aggravated assault, conspiracy, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, tampering with public records, unsworn falsification to authorities, obstructing administration of law or other governmental function and official oppression.

According to a press release, it is alleged that on June 21, Gibbs became agitated with the victim, a male inmate, and began pounding on his cell door and threatening him.

He allegedly returned to the control desk, called Bailey, and they entered the victim's cell and began to repeatedly punch and kick him.

Eventually, the press release states, they handcuffed the victim and walked him down a staircase, striking him along the way.

Once they arrived at the cell block's exit, Bailey allegedly struck the victim in the back of the head, knocking him to the ground.

Gibbs and Bailey then dragged the victim into the central control area and began to stomp on him, the press release states. Lowe then arrived on the scene and joined in the assault.

The victim lost consciousness at least twice during the assault. While much of it was cause on video, portions occurred where the defendants knew there weren't any cameras.

After the assault, the press release states that Gibbs and Bailey submitted a mental health referral alleging that the victim intentionally harmed himself to cover up to assault. As part of the referral, Lowe transported the victim to the receiving room and Gibbs tried to coerce the victim to not report the incident in exchange for food from the kitchen staff.

All three defendants submitted written reports of the incident that omitted their own actions and states that only "open hand" controls were used to subdue the victim, according to the press release.

All three officers have been suspended without pay pending the outcome of their criminal proceedings as a result of their arrests.