Man Weds Girlfriend in Hospital Bed After Being Given a Week to Live: 'I'm Marrying My Best Friend'

This Washington state man was given a week to live, so he decided to spend his final days married to his best friend.

Darren Sisk of Vancouver has organ failure and is in constant pain. He was given less than a week to live, but in that week, he exchanged vows with his longtime girlfriend, Crickett.

"I'm marrying my best friend," Sisk, 47, said in an interview with

The pair said "I do" at the end of a hospital hallway, where he has been staying for nearly two weeks.

Nearly 60 friends and family witnessed the ceremony, as he wore a suit in his hospital bed that was propped up so he was nearly standing.

His blushing bride stood next to him, veil and all. His grandson, 8, acted as the ring bearer, and granddaughter, 4, was the flower girl.

"The only thing to make the day better is if they said, 'Oops, I made a mistake and he's fine,'" Crickett said.

Crickett, 54, told that she met her husband 10 years ago, when she was told a man was injured while stopping a van that was rolling backwards toward her apartment, where a group of children had been playing outside. Some of the kids playing were her grandchildren.

She then went to the hospital to visit him. Immediately, the pair hit it off.

"She was coming to the hospital every day to come see me. We became best friends and then became lovers," Sisk said in an interview with

A year later, the pair was engaged. Crickett said they had gone on a family camping trip, and as he was saying a prayer before lunch, Sisk popped the question.

"Next thing I know, I'm being proposed to," Crickett laughed. "I wasn't expecting that at all. I was in tears."

She picked out a dress in the coming years, but the couple ultimately decided to stay together without getting married.

In their years together, Crickett said they loved camping, boating, hiking and the occasional car show. Despite their love for the rugged outdoors, she said Sisk was constantly battling medical problems as a result of the treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Sisk has been in and out of surgery for his stomach and intestines, and is constantly fighting off infections due to a compromised immune system. In addition, Crickett said the leg that was injured in the incident that brought them together also never healed properly.

Finally, doctors at the PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center told him that he would have less than two weeks to live, and despite their original plan to nix the nuptials, the pair wanted to spend their last moments married.

Thanks to the efforts of the hospital, family and friends, the pair were able to get married on Monday with only a week to prepare.

"Everyone really pulled together," Crickett said.

She said Sisk's two daughters came to do her hair and make up. The hospital then helped coordinate and even planned to surprise them with a cake -- until the power went out in the cafeteria on their wedding day.

She even got to wear the wedding dress she bought many years ago.

To make their wedding day extra special, nurses at the hospital came up with a plan to allow him to meet his unborn granddaughter. The baby is due in 8 weeks, but doctors do not expect Sisk to make it that long.

So nurses wheeled in a 3D ultrasound machine, where he laid in a bed next to his daughter, and they both watched the baby move in her belly through the monitor.

"It's really hard saying goodbye but I'm grateful that at least we get the last days," said Sisk's oldest daughter Chialeah.

Crickett said he will be allowed to go home Wednesday, where the newlyweds plan to spend their last days together visiting with friends and family.