HARRISBURG, Pa. - Vehicle restrictions will be implemented for the Pennsylvania Turnpike Monday evening, officials announced.
Due to the winter storm system setting up, officials with the PA Turnpike emphasized the need for motorists to stay off the roads, or, if travel is absolutely necessary, to use an abundance of caution while driving.
In that vein, officials announced Tier 1 of the commonwealth’s turnpike restrictions and those restrictions are in place throughout the length of the turnpike, and include all of the extensions, beginning Monday, at 6 p.m.
Eastern PA Turnpike extensions include 276, I-95 and the Northeast Extension (I-476).
In accordance with PA Turnpike Tier 1 restrictions, the following vehicles are not permitted:
- Tractors without trailers
- Tractors towing empty or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers
- Tractors towing empty or lightly loaded tandem trailers
- Enclosed cargo delivery trucks that meet the definition of a CMV
- Passenger vehicles towing trailers
- Recreational vehicles or motorhomes
- School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches not carrying chains or Alternate Traction Devices
Officials went on to say speed restrictions may be imposed as the storm progresses.
Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf urged people not to travel during the storm. "Safety is paramount during these ongoing winter storms," Gov. Wolf said. "State agencies, including PennDOT and the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA), and local municipalities are working to prepare roads and clear snow and melt ice to allow for necessary travel, but the more we stay off the roads, the easier their jobs will be and the safer we will make our state."
Officials will communicate restrictions through highway message boards, the 511PA website, here, and smartphone apps. Travelers can sign up sign up for alerts on the 511PA website, bu clicking on "Personal Alerts" in the left-hand menu.
For the latest local news, sports and weather, download the FOX 29 News app.
DOWNLOAD: FOX 29 NEWS APP