$2,700 Sprint bill after employee sent Maple Grove teen lewd photos

MAPLE GROVE, MN (FOX 9 KMSP)- Maple Grove police are openly investigating a family's claims that their then 14-year-old daughter received dirty messages and pornographic photos from a Sprint employee they trusted. They say they feel violated and had a $2,700 bill to boot.

For more than a dozen years, Scott Studaker and his family, including teenage daughter, Clara, were loyal Sprint customers at the Shoppes at Arbor Lakes, their go-to customer service rep, 32-year-old Bart Scott.

"He was really cool. He always helped fix my phone. If I walked in, he would always be like, 'Oh, I will help you first,'" Clara said.

In June of 2014, Scott was arrested and charged in St. Croix County with abusing his position inside a Verizon store where he had also worked. Investigators discovered Scott allegedly squirreled away the cell phone numbers and other passwords from the accounts of young, female customers he worked with, then send them dirty messages and lurid photos. It added up to two felony counts of exposing a child to harmful material.

"There were multiple Snapchats of him doing things. Really disgusting," Clara said.

They're too lewd for television, but authorities were able to link the images and videos to Scott's own account. The Studakers, furious, asked Sprint to terminate their contract immediately so they could start fresh with a new cell phone provider. Sprint's initial response: No. Studaker's jaw dropped when he received a $2,700 bill for a full cancellation with all early termination fees included.

"They breached my contract by breaching our privacy, and that was over a year ago. All I am asking is to cancel what's left on the contract," he asked.

After talking with Sprint's communications team on Tuesday afternoon, Fox 9 learned the phone provider agreed to zero out the balance, allowing them to move forward with a new company without any financial implications. Studaker said he spent several weeks fighting with Sprint, including sending a letter from an attorney, but he said nothing seemed to work until the deadline approached for Tuesday night's report.