FAA to order engine inspections after Flight 1380 explosion

SkyFOX was over Philadelphia International Airport on Thursday morning as the plane that suffered an engine failure this week, killing one woman, was wheeled out of the hanger again.

The Boeing 737 flown by Southwest Airlines appeared to have a section of the fuselage covered where an engine blade is believed to have broken away, partly depressurizing the cabin and killing one passenger who was partially pulled out of the plane. There was also a covering over the engine.

The National Transportation Safety Board is continuing to probe the cause of the accident. Officials are not expected to hold any more news conference in Philadelphia. Any additional updates will come from Washington, D.C.

NTSB accident investigations often take a year to 18 months to complete.

People in Berks County are still on the lookout for parts of the jet after more pieces were found Wednesday about 83 miles from Philadelphia in the town of Bernville.

The NTSB has released pictures of the debris that rained down on a golf course.

The FBI's office in Allentown says it fully expects people will find more pieces of the plane over the next few days.

Investigators say if you find debris, don't touch it. Call authorities immediately.

Since Tuesday's deadly explosion, major changes are in the works. Late last night, the FAA said that it will issue a directive in the next two weeks to require inspections of certain CFM56-7B engines - the type of engine that failed on the Southwest flight.

It's also one of the most widely used engines in the air.

The directive will require ultrasonic inspections of fan blades when they reach a certain number of takeoffs and landings.

We've also learned more about the woman killed in the explosion. Investigators say Jennifer Riordan died of blunt-force trauma of the head, neck and torso.

The 43-year-old mother of two was a banking executive for Wells Fargo and was in New York for business.

A passenger on the flight says he was part of a group that tried to save her.

"Had a window go out and a lady go out the window, and we couldn't pull in," said passenger Tim McGinty. "A buddy, the guy helped, and we got her pulled in, and they tried to resuscitate her."

Andrew Needum, who is a firefighter in Texas, was the one who tried to save Riordan by performing CPR.

Captain Tammie Jo Shults and First Officer Darren Ellisor of Flight 1380 issued a statement Wednesday night. It reads, in part, "We all feel we were simply doing our jobs. Our hearts are heavy. On behalf of the entire Crew, we appreciate the outpouring of support from the public and our coworkers as we all reflect on one family's profound loss."

As for the investigation, right now NTSB investigators can't explain with certainty why the left engine malfunctioned, although early signs are pointing to an undetectable crack in a metal fan blade.