Man shot and killed outside Philadelphia prison shortly after being released, police say

A Philadelphia man who was released from prison early Thursday morning was chased back onto prison grounds where he was shot and killed near the main gate, according to officials. 

Rodney Hargrove, 20, was released from Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility in Homesburg after he posted bail around 1 a.m. Thursday, Philadelphia Dept. of Prisons Commissioner Blanche Carney said. 

Hargrove was incarcerated for less than a week on theft and weapons charges, according to officials. He had no known affiliations and did not have any incidents while incarcerated.

Officers drove Hargrove to a nearby SEPTA stop where he arranged for a ride from a family member. While waiting, Hargrove was chased by an unknown vehicle and ran back onto prison grounds.

The car followed Hargrove onto the campus through a raised gate. The 20-year-old was shot several times in the upper body and pronounced dead shortly after police arrived, according to Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.

Prison guards did not see the shooting and no cameras are pointed where the gunfire erupted, according to Small.

Investigators say Hargrove was booked into the facility last week charged, but not convicted for receiving stolen property, carrying a loaded firearm, plus fleeing or attempting to elude officers.

His bond was posted in court records Thursday morning.

Authorities have indicated that a dark-colored car was seen speeding away from the prison shortly after the shooting. 



'These are our children': City leaders hold gun violence briefing

Philadelphia police bolstering patrols around Asian communities following Atlanta-area shootings

Man, 35, shot multiple times and killed in Kensington, police say

Community remembers 16-year-old shot, killed at West Philly rec center

Video: Suspect sought after fistfight leads to gunfire in Ogontz



SUBSCRIBE: Good Day Digest Newsletter | FOX 29 Philly on YouTube

FOLLOW: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter