Officials identify woman killed in police chase that ended with shooting in Chester

Investigators have identified a Delaware woman who died after a police chase and shooting that began in Wilmington and ended in Chester.

Yazmyn Stewart, 23, was wanted in connection to a shooting in Wilmington last December and rammed through police cars when confronted by officers on Tuesday. 

Stewart fled onto I-95 and crossed into Pennsylvania where investigators say she crashed her car and fired at police, who returned fire. 

The suspect then got into another vehicle and drove into Chester, where she crashed into another structure and allegedly ran into a home. Police say she then got into a third car and attempted to flee. 


Woman wanted in Delaware dies in police chase that ended with shooting in Chester: police

A woman who was wanted in Delaware has died after police say she led them on a chase into Delaware County and exchanged gunfire with law enforcement Tuesday.

At that time, a total of 10 law enforcement officers discharged their firearms, striking the vehicle and Stewart. She ultimately died from her injuries.

A woman who was in the Chester, Delaware County home where Stewart climbed through the window Tuesday said she feels sorrow for the intruder.

Sabrina Briscoe was inside the home when Yazmyn Smith climbed in. She said, "She was apologetic coming in the window and stuff like that. But it was sad. She was real nice. She was just begging and pleading."

In Wilmington, police tape stretches along a fence on the 300 block of North Madison Street where police say they tried to arrest Stewart yesterday in connection to a December shooting a few blocks away.

Grandville Brown is a community activist. He said, "everything was taped off at 4th and Madison, so normally that’s alarming. Something must have happened. Never want to hear there was another shooting. Last couple of days, that’s what’s been going on."

FOX 29 was immediately told to leave when arriving at Stewart’s home for comment. Neighbors said the family planned to view the body in Chester Wednesday morning. As the Delco District Attorney pieces together the police chase and deadly shooting, Sabrina Briscoe cannot shake what happened here Tuesday afternoon. Briscoe said, "it was sad, she had to lose her life. No matter what she did, she didn’t have to lose her life. She was a real nice girl."

One Wilmington officer was taken to a hospital to be evaluated for a minor injury. No other injuries to police have been reported. 

The chase and ensuing standoff caused officials to shut down I-95 from exits 4-6 for about an hour.