Second officer shot by gunman expected leave hospital in coming days

One of the two police officers shot during shooting rampage in West Philadelphia Friday night has been released from a hospital and is resting at home.

The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 5 says University of Pennsylvania police officer Ed Miller was released on Sunday after receiving treatment for gunshot wounds to his hip and ankle.

The other - Philadelphia Sgt. Sylvia Young -- remains hospitalized but could be going home shortly.

Investigators say at about 11:18pm Friday, Young was parked and sitting in her patrol vehicle at 52nd and Sansom streets and when she was approached by a man, later identified as Nicholas Glenn, who was armed with a 9mm handgun began firing approximately 18 rounds at the driver's side of Sgt. Young's vehicle.

She was hit in her left shoulder, arm and torso area of her body, taken to the hospital, and listed in stable condition.

Glenn then ran away eastbound on Sansom and arriving officers chased him.

While running, Glenn passed the Maximum Level Lounge in the 5100 block of Sansom Street while a 42-year-old manager and 41-year-old barmaid were in the open doorway, helping a wheelchair-bound patron.

Glenn then turned back and fired approximately five rounds at them, hitting the manager in both legs and the barmaid in her right ankle. Both were taken to the hospital in stable condition.

Then, Glenn kept running and approached a 2011 Nissan Altima with a 36-year-old man and 25-year-old woman - later identified as Sara Silah - inside.

Glenn fired his weapon again -- multiple times at both of them - hitting the man in his arm and chest and Silah multiple times in her chest. Both were taken to the hospital. The male was listed in critical condition, but Silah didn't make it.

Glenn continued further eastbound on Sansom and fired at two responding officers in a marked Ford Explorer - hitting their vehicle on the hood and driver's side door while they were responding to an 'Assist Officer' radio call. The officers were not injured.

Then, in the 100 block of S. 48th Street, Police Officer Edward Miller of the University of Pennsylvania Police Department confronted Glenn. There was a shootout, Miller was hit in his hip and leg area, and taken to the hospital in stable condition. He was released Sunday.

Then, Glenn exchanged gunfire with other Philadelphia police officers. At the end, Glenn had been shot several times and killed.

Later, Glenn was found to have a note with the heading "Doomed People" which indicated his hatred toward his probation/parole Officers and police, among other unclear statements.

Glenn's gun, a Ruger Model SR9, 9MM, semi-automatic pistol with obliterated serial numbers was recovered at the scene. The firearm was loaded with fourteen live 9MM rounds. There were three empty magazines throughout the scene that Glenn had discarded as he emptied the magazines and re-loaded with spare magazines. It was determined Glenn discharged his firearm at least 51 times that night.