2-year-old fatally mauled by pit bulls inside home

Philadelphia police are investigating after they say a 2-year-old boy was killed by pit bulls inside a home in Port Richmond.

"They're upset--they upset--they have every right to be upset." Those words from a family friend Thursday as he came to the home where police say a 2-year-old boy was mauled to death Wednesday afternoon by the family's pet pit bulls.

"How's the mom doing?" FOX 29's Dave Schratwieser asked. "She's sick. She lost her son," the friend told FOX 29. "A freak accident, I just hope everybody stays strong."

Although he didn't give his name he says the boy's mother and aunt who was watching the child at the same of the incident are devastated.

"It's a healing process. Gonna take a long time. Ain't nobody gonna be right after this," he added.

"This was just a horrible tragedy all the way around. Breaks our heart for the poor little baby," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross told reporters Thursday morning.

The police investigation into what happened is ongoing after several pit bulls got out of their cages and attacked the toddler inside a home on Agate Street.

"All indications are that one of the occupants of the house went to let the dog outside they all came out," Commissioner Ross explained.

Police officers had to shoot the dogs to gain entry to the house and try to save the child. He was raced to the hospital but died a short time later.

"There's no indication of dog fighting. In fact, the house wasn't in disarray other than the cages on the inside. It's a bit of a mystery to us,"Commissioner Ross said.

Jason Rash was one of the neighbors who tried to save the child. He's heartbroken and traumatized by what he saw.

"I couldn't sleep. I was up all night. I was at the station. I threw up twice. It's just horrifying--scary," Rash told FOX 29 Thursday.

"We're looking to see if there was neglect involved, but right now we don't have any obvious signs of that," the commissioner said.

Police Commissioner Ross noted the impact this has on everybody. The family first and foremost, the neighbors, even the police officers who had to witness that and tried to stop it. He says the officers did the best they could.

Police have still not identified the child or the aunt who was watching him at the time of the attack. Family members did not return to the Agate Street home Thursday.