Houston couple warns others after dog's suffocation

A couple is warning others after the tragic death of their beloved Pit Bull 'Petey.'

Christina Young posted on Facebook that her partner Christian returned form work and was surprised when Petey didn't greet him at the door like usual. "As he walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head," said Young.

Young said Petey apparently pulled a chip bag off the counter and ate every chip out of the bag and ended up suffocating. "We will forever blame ourselves for leaving it out. He ate every chip out but of course went back for crumbs... with there being nothing left inside every time he would go for more he would inhale making the bag tighter & tighter around his head.. ultimately resulting in suffocation."

Young said she wanted to warn other dog owners of the danger of plastic bags. "Chip bags, cereal bags, bread bags, popcorn bags, dog, cat treat bags seem to be the most common (to cause suffocation in pets). So I just ask that in honor of my boy Petey that you be extra careful, warn other dog owners and give your fur babies some extra love today and everyday after this," said Young.

Beth Brookhouser with The SPCA for Monterey County tells KTVU, "There are many common household hazards we don't realize our pets can face, and chip bags is one of them. I've certainly had my share of counter-surfing and garbage-diving pets, and there are so many things they can get into, from plastic bags to chocolate, prescription and over-the-counter medications, chicken bones, aluminum foil, and more. The best that pet owners can do is try to pet-proof their home like they would for an inquisitive toddler, and to train their dogs to stay off counters and out of garbage. Sadly, the smells that come from counter goodies and trash cans can prove far too appealing to our four footed friends."

Christian told KTVU he has closure knowing Petey was here for a purpose of raising awareness and potentially saving other pets.