Mullica Hill Boy Burned During Bizarre Halloween Accident

NEW JERSEY (WTXF)Well wishes and donations are rolling in for a precious little boy who suffered burns over more than 35% of his body during a bizarre accident. 7-year-old Jared Callan's costume caught fire at a party Halloween night.

"There was a jack-o-lantern with a candle in it. He reached over to grab a piece of candy and his shirt on his costume caught fire," said Karen Saporito, a neighbor and family friend.

She describes the horrifying accident Jared's mom, Selena, told her what he endured.

"His whole shirt was in flames instantly and Selena rolled him to get it to go out but it was I think up to his chin so his whole torso and all of his arms were burned," said Karen.

Jared has been in the hospital ever since. In addition to the burns his lung collapsed. His mom, Selena, told Karen he's had multiple surgeries and a number of skin grafts.

"She just texted me and she said he's had some really great days lately. He's walking around now which is really good," she said.

Karen others in their Mullica Hill neighborhood are doing whatever they can to help. She started a GoFundMe page to raise money to help with Jared's mounting medical bills. The goal is $50,000. So far friends and strangers have donated close to $30,000. They say it will be a big help to Jared and the family which includes his twin sister and older sister.

"It could be any of us. I always kind of have that philosophy that I would want that same kind of help and that same kind of support. I think it takes a village for everybody," said Karen.
Jared's family hopes he will be able to come home by the end of the month but that's not definite.
There are two GoFundMe pages set up for donations if you'd like to help below:

Help Jared Heal

Help Jared's Medical Bills