Teen killed, SEPTA passengers among 4 hurt after shots fired at bus stop in Ogontz

Philadelphia police are investigating a shooting near a SEPTA bus stop that police say left one juvenile dead and four other people injured in the Ogontz neighborhood. 

The incident happened near the Route 6 bus stop in the area of Ogontz Avenue and West Godfrey Avenue. 

According to officials, at around 3:44 p.m. on Broad and Godfrey Avenue, a group of 15–20 people were beginning to board the bus when two individuals walked up near the stop and started to fire multiple rounds of gunshots. 

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel provided an update late Monday afternoon and confirmed five people were shot and of the five, one person was killed during the incident. 

A 17-year-old boy was shot multiple times and taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center via police, where he was pronounced dead at 3:53 p.m. 

The School District of Philadelphia confirmed the teen, identified by police as Dayemen Taylor, was a student at Imhotep Institute Charter High School.

A 15-year-old boy suffered a graze wound to his right shoulder while attempting to retreat from the hectic scene. 

Two women who were already on the SEPTA mode of transportation were shot as stray bullets went through the bus. 

A 50-year-old woman suffered a graze wound to her arm, and a 71-year-old woman was shot in the head. Both women, considered innocent bystanders, are in stable condition. 

While police were investigating, they discovered a second 14-year-old boy had arrived at Einstein and he was also hit with a graze wound to his buttocks during the incident. He is in stable condition. 

DA Larry Krasner said one of the victims was a medical worker during a press conference Tuesday as he said his office is working to make sure those responsible are caught and have "severe" consequences.

The bus operator pulled away in an effort to avoid more potential gunshots reaching passengers. 

The following images show the bullet holes that entered the SEPTA bus: 

Image 1 of 3

According to surveillance footage, the suspects who fired the fatal shots fled from the scene. 

Sources provided FOX 29's Steve Keeley with a photo of the suspects as they fired at least 40 shots while a group of students boarded the SEPTA bus, killing a 17-year-old who was "clearly targeted."

Community advocates and members of the Philadelphia Police Department were seen leaving Imhotep Institute Charter High Monday morning.

Students are remotely learning Tuesday and Wednesday, giving them time to grieve at home following the deadly shooting of their schoolmate.

Nicole High of the Philadelphia Anti-Drug/Anti-Violence Network (PAAN) said a grief session was held with teachers who spent most of Monday night on the phone supporting students through their grief.

"He was fun, silly loving, caring and respectful. He was the life of the party. He was supposed to be chairing on their STEM class for 11th grade, which was supposed to start today. They were all excited to see his work, his friends and his teachers, really, really, really were cheering him on and see what he brings," said High.

Wali Smith of PAAN said during the meeting with school leaders and police about safety, there were discussions about safe corridors, staff being more visible and parents getting involved.

"We just want to make sure there’s no retaliation. No revenge takes place… that the young people can process this the proper way and do the right thing," said Smith "We want them to put those guns down. We want them guys to really think about what they did, how many people they harmed and change their ways."

In a statement, the CEO Andre Noble of Imhotep Institute Charter High provided this statement:

"The Imhotep Institute Charter High School family has a heavy heart today.  The last 24 hours have been our greatest fear, one of our young kings killed by gun violence.  Dayemen Taylor had a joyful smile and loved our school as we loved him.  His last day of school he was actively engaged in Stem Week.  In the attached video, he was working with a Chemist splitting water molecules to produce hydrogen.  This is how we will remember him.  We will remember his jokes, smile and curiosity for learning.  We will work with his family to keep his memory alive.  We are also focused on the healing and safety of our community.  We have been in contact with the Philadelphia Police Department, Councilwoman Bass, Councilman Thomas, and State Representative Kinsey’s offices and multiple offices from the city of Philadelphia and the School District of Philadelphia.  We thank all of them for their support in this time of tragedy."

SEPTA spokesperson Andrew Busch provided this statement: 

"SEPTA is grateful for the heroic efforts of the bus operator, who quickly and safely moved the bus out of the line of fire immediately after gunfire erupted on the street. All SEPTA customers and employees should be able to feel safe while they are traveling and working. We provide 700,000 passenger trips a day, and incidents like this are extremely rare – although one is too many. SEPTA Police will continue working closely with Philadelphia Police and other law enforcement partners on measures to enhance safety and security on our transit system."

8th District Councilmember Cindy Bass released the following statement on the deadly shooting: