Officials: Suspect dead after leading Delaware State Troopers on lengthy pursuit, carjacking two vehicles

A suspect is dead after Delaware State Police say he led them on a lengthy chase that involved two carjackings and multiple shots fired.

Authorities say the incident began around 7:29 a.m. in Wilmington as troopers responded to reports of a suspicious person with a gun. 

Trooper made contact with the suspect, and authorities say he fled on foot and gunshots were fired. At that time, a school bus was struck by gunfire. 

"I was like ‘oh my gosh we’re actually in a shooting right now’ like we need to get out of this, this is insane," said Brendalyn Bockman a student passenger. 

School officials say three bullets hit the school bus and only one penetrated through, narrowly missing the bus driver and instead hitting the arm rest next to her.

"I told her, ‘you need to pull over so I can look at you, I need to make sure you’re OK, I need to make sure there's no bullet in you'," Bockman said.

The suspect then fled to the area of Route 141 and Route 4 where he was able to carjack a driver, and flee the area in their vehicle. 

State police say a pursuit ensued in the area of New Castle. The pursuit concluded near Old Cooch's Bridge Road, behind the Red Roof Inn in Newark. Once in a cul-de-sac, police say the suspect fled the vehicle on foot and ran toward the southbound lanes of I-95. 

Authorities say the suspect was then able to carjack a second vehicle and additional gunshots were fired. Authorities say he then fled on I-95 South to the area of Route 896, where even more gunshots were fired.


Troopers said upon contact with police, the suspect, later identified as 39-year-old Jonathan Wiseman, was pronounced dead from injuries sustained. 

Police have yet to clarify the extent or nature of the suspect’s injuries. 

FOX 29 has learned that the school bus struck by gunfire was bound for Delcastle Technical High School. School officials say approximately three dozen students were on the bus at the time, and no injuries were reported.

School officials stated in an email sent to parents that the bus was struck three times by gunfire. One of the rounds ended up in the driver’s arm rest. The other two struck window frames and the roof of the bus. 

The bus driver immediately pulled over to a safe place, called a supervisor, and continued to the school to drop off the students, according to officials. 

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.