'We lost an innocent child': Man charged in death of Trenton 9-year-old shot while playing in courtyard

Authorities in Mercer County announced an arrest in connection to the death of a Trenton 9-year-old who was shot and killed on March 25

Police responded to reports of gunfire at 7:27 p.m. after arguments and fights broke out amongst a large group, officials say. 

When police arrived, SeQuoya Bacon-Jones was found suffering from gunshot wounds, according to police. 

SeQuoya Bacon-Jones, 9, was shot and killed in Trenton on March 25.  (Family photo)

Authorities say several people and Bacon-Jones' mother were around her providing aid. 

RELATED: Trenton community mourns 9-year-old girl killed in shooting

Medics transported Bacon-Jones to Capital Health Regional Medical Center where she was stabilized in surgery. She was then transported to the Robert Wood Johnson New Brunswick Hospital, where she was pronounced dead around midnight, officials say. 

On Wednesday, Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo J. Onfori, Bacon-Jones' family, Trenton Mayor Reed Gusciora, New Jersey Attorney General Matthew Platkin and other officials held a press conference Wednesday to announce the arrest of Isiah M. Roberts of Trenton. 

Isiah M. Roberts, 19, has been arrested and charged in connection to the death of a 9-year-old girl fatally shot in Trenton. 

Roberts, 19, has been charged with murder, second-degree aggravated assault, fourth-degree aggravated assault and related charges. 

Authorities say Bacon-Jones' and her brother were playing in the courtyard in Kingsbury Square when two women came to the courtyard to fight over Facebook posts. 

As the fight between the two women began, another altercation between Roberts and another man unfolded in the area, according to investigators. 

The altercation then made its way to the courtyard where shots were fired, police say. 

Roberts fled the area in an Accura which was described by numerous residents who called 911, the Mercer County Prosecutor's Office announced. 

Investigators say hours were spent canvassing the area and interviewing witnesses. 

According to authorities, at 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday, detectives located the Accura and stopped it in Hamilton Township, but before the car could come to a complete stop, Roberts fled the passenger side on foot. 

Detectives from the Homicide Taskforce chased him in wooded area along Rt. 129 and he was arrested as he entered the Delaware River at 12:45 on Wednesday, police say. 

According to investigators, Roberts was heading to East Brunswick to hide from police. 

At the press conference, members of Bacon-Jones' family sat in the conference room holding up her pictures, including one from several weeks ago when she attended a father-daughter dance with her grandfather. 

Officials were emotional as they announced the details of the case and spoke about the devastation continued violence causes. 

"This tragedy, this awful tragedy needs to be a wake-up call. The violence cannot continue," New Jersey Attorney General Matthew Platkin said. "We cannot continue to have press conferences like this one. The community of Trenton and the state of New Jersey cannot continue to endure these horrors." 





SUBSCRIBE: Good Day Digest Newsletter | FOX 29 Philly on YouTube

FOLLOW: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter