PHILADELPHIA - A man is fighting for his life after police say he was shot multiple times near the Criminal Justice Center in Center City.
The incident happened on the sidewalk in the area of 13th and Filbert Streets, a few blocks from City Hall, around 2 a.m. Monday.
Police say the victim, a 26-year-old man, was shot multiple times in the leg and stomach. He was rushed to the hospital where authorities say he was listed in critical but stable condition.
A motive for the shooting is unknown and the investigation is ongoing.
- Philadelphia activists search for immediate solutions as city surpasses 400 homicides in 2021
- District Attorney Larry Krasner speaks out on 'senseless, preventable violence'
- 1 killed, 5 injured in overnight shootings across Philadelphia
- Police: Man, 39, shot and killed as two others are injured in North Philly shooting
- Police: Men hit with barrage of bullets in South Philadelphia double shooting
The incident comes after a violent weekend sent Philadelphia’s homicide numbers surging past 400 in 2021.
City leaders -including the mayor, police commissioner, and district attorney - denounced the violence Sunday, while activists called for more immediate solutions.
District Attorney Larry Krasner and Mayor Jim Kenney further addressed the tragic milestone on Monday.