DELAWARE COUNTY, Pa. - A man wanted on attempted murder charges fled police in Pennsylvania, stole a police vehicle, drove to New Jersey, and was shot and wounded during a gun battle with officers, authorities said Tuesday.
Arthur Henry Disanto Jr., 41, was wanted in the July 3 shooting of a woman in Delaware County.
Pennsylvania troopers attempted to stop a motorcycle driven by Disanto on Monday night in Marple, authorities said. He was later spotted by a plainclothes officer in Folcroft who was driving an unmarked police SUV.
The officer caught up with the motorcycle in Philadelphia. Disanto lay the bike down and reached for a gun in his waistband as the officer got out of his vehicle, authorities said.
The officer retreated behind the SUV, and Disanto got in and drove off, authorities said. The officer shot out the windows as Disanto left. It’s unclear whether Disanto fired any shots then, and the officer was not injured.
Authorities tracked the SUV to Deptford Township, New Jersey, but Disanto had already exited and taken SWAT gear that had been inside, including a bulletproof vest and helmet, authorities said.
A drone spotted Disanto on a shed roof, authorities said. He ran off and then traded gunfire shortly before midnight in front of a home in Washington Township, authorities said.
A police officer from New Jersey was wounded. Disanto is expected to survive, but details on the wounded officer were not disclosed.
- 14-year-old gunned down at Willingboro gas station, police say
- Suspect turns self in after violent group attack on man in Queen Village
- Mother, young child critical after being struck by car in Bucks County
- Man killed in pair of Saturday night shootings in North Philadelphia, police say
- 15-year-old dies after being shot in face while playing basketball in Nicetown-Tioga, police say